The roots of the modern Avery Weigh-Tronix extend
back to 1731 when James Ford established a business
as a maker of “
” in Digbeth, near Birmingham,
UK. As the Industrial Revolution gathered momentum,
the business was transferred to William Avery, soon
joined by his brother Thomas, who traded under the
name W&T Avery. In 1876, the company produced
their first Weighbridge, with the first Service and
maintenance contracts added soon after, in 1887.
Today, Avery Weigh-Tronix encompasses a number of
s best-known weighing companies,
including Brecknell, Dillon and Railweight. The
company is now a wholly owned subsidiary of ITW
corporation, a publicly traded, Fortune 500 company
with operations in 57 countries.